SOME OF THE BENEFITS OF BEING A YORK REGION LAW ASSOCIATION MEMBER
While the YRLA Courthouse Law Library is available to all Lawyers of the Law Society of Upper Canada, YRLA members enjoy special privileges, including:
1) Security access cards allowing Members to use the Staff Entrance to the Courthouse. This card also allows 24/7 hour access to the library/lounge. The card is effective 7 am -7 pm prior or post this time frame, your card can be shown to after-hour security staff to access the library. Security guards at Osgoode Hall and University Ave; courts will also accept YRLA Photo ID cards for business hour access.
2) Borrowing of most library materials for office use.
3) Reduced cost CPD including selected LSUC video replays.
4) Inclusion in the YRLA membership directory on our website www.yorklaw.ca. This directory includes all of the member’s contact details and area of practice. A new “Find a Lawyer” search screen has been added to the website which is an excellent time saving feature.
Membership information changes are usually updated the day they are received.
5) Distribution by e-mail or fax of:
a) Professional notices issued by Regional Senior Justice M.K. Fuerst. This special service helps keep members up to date with procedural requirements of the Newmarket Courts as well as other Central East Court requirements.
b) Other YRLA notices for Social Events, Dinner Meetings, etc. and News Bulletins are sent to members as required. (The York Region Law Association is very careful not to burden our members with unnecessary e-mails that are not directly related to the YRLA. If an exception is made it has to be approved by one of the board members.)
c) Invitations to attend Educational Bench & Bar luncheon sessions. (Lunch is provided by th YRLA., the cost to attend is $10.00)
6) Wireless internet access, an encryption code can be obtained from library staff which enables wireless access, usually from any location in the courthouse.
7) Members can use their Access Cards to charge photocopies/print to their account and be billed at a later date. Non-members are required to pay for their copies or can be billed to their office with a $5.00 minimum charge.